“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Its been a while

Hello everyone. I'm finally back online. I know its been months. So whats been happening? So many things. I finished an HIV/AIDs training in my area for five villages at the end of November. 65 people went for VCT (Volunteer Counseling and Testing). 11 people were positive, most of them female. Its so important for people to know their status, but it was a very difficult day for me to watch people that i've come to love find out that they have been infected with HIV. I never realized how much that would affect me. Then in early december i participated in a five day PEPFAR workshop to learm more about HIV/AIDs and training it to others. It was a great week and we really got to know our Zambian counterparts much better. Then for the holidays I headed home....yes I went back to America!! I apologize to those that didn't know I was coming home. It was a surprise for my mom and younger sister Lori and thats why I wasn't spreading the news. I was mostly in Columbus at my sisters house and spent a few days back in the Fort. Then i went to Chicago for the last four days and had an absolute blast!!! Thank you to everyone that made it out to see me while I was home. It was so wonderful to see everyone again. I miss you guys!

Well its good to be back and once again I'm getting into the groove of things here. I have so many programs going on so these last seven months are going to fly by. Can you believe that....only seven more months to go. Unbelievable. Where has the time gone.

So I'm currently in Lusaka planning a huge HIV/AIDs event for May/June. We are in the beginning stages of planning it and I'll give all the details once its approved. I wanted to end my service in a big way and I think this program is going to take the cake. I'm still working on fish farming, but since its the rainy season, all my farmers are busy working in their fields and gardens. So I've decided to continue my work on HIV/AIDs since its such a problem here. In just three weeks my tribe will be having their annual N'Chawala ceremony. You may remember the photos from last year. I think I'll be getting several visitors once again.

Also I want to start mentioning that I'm working on a project with my local secondary school to build two dormitories for the weekly boarders. These students have to stay at the school durning the week due to the long distances from their homes. This is a big project and its going to require funding from anyone interested in helping out. My dad is currently campaigning for me in the states. I'm looking to raise between 15,000 and 20,000 USD. I know its alot, but having a safe, comfortable place for these students to sleep would mean all the world to them. They are currently living in shacks not even fit for animals. Its absolutely horrible. If you are interested in helping out with this project, please contact me via email or post a comment on my blog and I'll get in touch with you. Around 160 students will be affected by this project and 100% of your money will go towards this project. Its about $170 per student to build these two dorms. However, anything you contribute would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting a blog about the entire project in the near future.

So happy belated New Year to everyone. I hope things go well for everyone in 2008. Its going to be a big year for me. Hope everyone also enjoyed the holidays with your family and friends!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"Project with my local secondary school to build two dormitories"

Julie, good to see your smilin' face over the holiday! Glad you're well. How do we contribute to this?

5:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home