“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Monday, September 10, 2007

The Annual Chichewa Festival with the Nyau Dancers

Every year at the end of August, the Chewa’s celebrate their traditional tribal dances at the Kalombo ceremony. It’s a huge event. Thousands of people were there, including three heads of state, President Mwanawasa, the President of Malawi and the President of Mozambique. The dancing was really great. The Chewa’s are completely different than my tribe, the Ngoni’s. They have a very unique look and style of dancing. It was really great to get to see something like this. They thought we were press and we were ushered to the very middle of the stadium. Definitely had the VIP seats. The place was complete chaos and it was super hot. We only stayed for a few hours, which was as much as I could handle.












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home