“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Work in the village

Life continues to be really busy. I just finished 4 big fish farming trainings this past week training over 110 rural farmers on pond construction and pond management. Its been a hectic week but also very gratifying. My model farmer, Mr. Benson Chulu (photo below) finally completed his pond and we are set to bring him fish soon. I just did a training in my old village today and was able to see the pond. Its beautiful. I almost cried. I’m so proud of him because he’s put so much effort into building this pond. I know these things may seem so insignificant to you at home in the states, but this is a big deal and has potential to bring a lot of development here. As any struggling volunteer can admit, this is quite an accomplishment. Christi and I are also getting prepared to have two 4-day workshops on boys empowerment and girls empowerment in early October. We will be having the workshop for 20 girls and 20 boys and we will discuss issues such as gender equality, HIV/AIDs, sex, their future, goals, assertiveness, communication, leadership, careers and much much more. I’m really excited about this. I really enjoy working with the youth. Its only about a month away and it’s the first big workshop either of us has done, so I hope everything comes together.

I’m leaving tomorrow for Lusaka to attend my mid-term medical exams. I’ll be getting poked and prodded for three days to make sure that my health is top notch. Then its off to Livingstone to raft the Zambezi. The water is low since we are in the dry season and we get to start at the base of Victoria Falls and raft all 23 rapids. It will be an adventure. I haven’t gone white water rafting since I was 17 years old. Then I’ll be spending a few days with my girls, Dre and Caitlin in their villages in Southern province. Then its back to Chipata to catch up on lots of work and make the final preparations for the workshops. I basically have something going on every month now until I finish my service. Time is flying. Less than 11 months to go….

I also want to send a big congratulations to my girlfriends Robin and Naomi who both recently got engaged and ask me to be in their weddings next year when I get home!! I can't wait!









These photos are of my training and my farmers digging their first group pond.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home