“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Mighty Zambezi

After mid-term medical exams we headed down to Livingstone for a little adventure. I wanted to check off "white water rafting" on my life time to do list and why not do it on one of the top 5 rivers for rafting in the world. I'd like to say one of the most dangerous rivers. I'll let the photos speak for themselves and you can be the judge. I have to admit, this was the second time in my entire life that I was truly scared that I was going to die. I got trapped under the boat in a class 4 rapid and could not get out. I remember thinking, "well this is it, I'm out of air...and then I finally popped out and was able to gasp some air before I was pounded under the water again to ride out the rest of the rapid. A really nice guy in my boat came to my rescue and I was truly grateful for that. They pulled me out of the water and I nose dived into the raft. I couldn't speak, I couldn't move. I felt like the life had been sucked out of me. Needless to say, I won't be going white water rafting anymore. We were put in at rapid 1 and this only happens during sept and october each year. I paid for a full day, but quit at the half way point after I almost lost my life. It wasn't worth it and my gut told me it was time to get out. Unfortunately I then had to climb out of the gorge on all fours on this homemade ladder of sticks. Part way up the 150 meter climb, I realized that my life was in danger once again. I made it with the help of my new Irish friend Donncha. We hung together for the rest of the day and even took transport out of Livingstone the next day. Thank god for the Irish. He made me see the humor in all that happened. Luckily, I'm okay, just a bit beat up. Many bruises and a bump on my head. Could have been worse. At this time of the year, the Zambezi is full of Class 4 and 5 rapids. There is one Class 6 rapid (called Commercial Suicide) which we had to get out and walk around. This definitely ranks as one of the most insane things I've ever done. I'll go skydiving any day.


So this is me being thrown out of the 1st rapid a class 4 rapid. However no one knew I fell out because everyone had to high side on the left to keep the boat from flipping. They finally fished me out. That was a rude awakening especially after swallowing my share of the tasty Zambezi water. This should have been a sign for what was to come.


In one of the Class 5 rapids we actually had to drop 7meters (small waterfall I'd say) and thats when everyone has to get in the down position like we are in this photo. We lost Katy on this one and you can see Christi looking back to where she fell out. I'm the one on the far right with my back facing forward.
Looks like we have nice form :) You can see my arm on the back left (blue shirt).
I wanted to upload more photos, but blogger is being funny right now. I'll add them later. I also want to wish my mom a very Happy Birthday today! Wish I could be there to celebrate with you!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Julie
What happened to the others? did they make it? How many of your crew knew rafting?

I am planning to be there in Oct.

Regards

n dhillon

11:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home