“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Good times with friends

After my adventures in Livingstone I headed up to Choma to meet up with my two good friends Andrea and Caitlin. I spent two days with Dre and then went to Cait's village in Chifusa (about a 2hr cantor truck ride into the bush). It was so great. I haven't seen Cait in a long time. We had the most fun, making great coffee with Bailey's (she just went home to the states in July) and even had an encounter with a green momba snake (one deadly snake). We were walking to a school about 8km from her village when Cait stopped and I had no idea why...and laying across the path was this really long thin snake. Looked harmless if you asked me, however Cait's Zambian friend immediately told us to back away as he threw a huge rock at it. Then he asked the strangest thing..."are one of you pregnant? What? Thats a weird question." Apparently green momba's don't just stay still. In the culture here, they believe a snake like this only stops in the presense of a pregnant woman. We had a good laugh at that. Then we spent the rest of the week on gender activities with her school and stayed up till 1am last night playing gin rummy. Good times. Its funny because after visiting other volunteers and their sites, I always feel renewed and I'm reminded that I'm really fortunate to be here with these amazing people. Thanks girls for a wonderful time and allowing me to recover from the craziness of Livingstone. I'm staying with a family from the states tonight in Lusaka. It will be so nice to watch American movies and eat good food. Tomorrow its back to Chipata for another crazy week of work. We have provincial meetings the end of next week and I'm hoping to have another fish transport to my farmers in Kapatamoyo.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Warner Taylor said...

I would love to hear from you about the village. I previously sent you our website: http://fisheni.cedarville.org/ Our group is very interested in knowing how the funds we are sending to the village are being used. Please contact me at warners@cedarville.edu

6:12 PM

 
Blogger dad said...

Julie, This is Dad. I thought I would comment to the "long parties and gin-rummy nights----Have Fun! Love, Dad

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Hello,
My name is Lisa Wasilewski. I am currently a PCV in Namibia.

A couple of friends and I are planning to travel through Zambia in early December and from your blog I see that you're serving in Chipata. Our plan is to travel through Zambia, Malawi, then Northern Mozambique. With any luck, we'll make it up to Tanzania.

We will be traveling through your region around December 5(ish) and were wondering if you have any recommendations about traveling in the region (where to go, what to see, how to make it happen). Also, can you recommend a hostel or might it even be possible to camp in your backyard (or approximation thereof)? Any information you can provide regarding travel and places to stay would be much appreciated. As I'm sure you can imagine, we're attempting to stretch our PC budget as far as it will go.

I can be contacted by email at lisa.wasilewski@gmail.com

Thanks so much for your help!

-Lisa

11:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home