“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My first FISH transport

In mid June I taught a one day fish farming training to my local farmers. In turn for coming to the training, Department of Fisheries would give them free fish for their fish ponds. So three weeks ago I headed out with DOF to give fish to my farmers. It was an interesting day. Most of the farmers took my advice at the training and fixed things on their ponds and several did absolutely nothing which was a bit frustrating. Surprisingly the women’s ponds were the best. We gave fish to five farmers for a total of about 1200 fingerlings. They were so happy and grateful. It was a fun day off-roading in DOF’s landcruiser and getting to see all of my farmers.

(unfortunately I'm not able to upload photos of this wonderful day due to my camera getting stolen this week at the National Agriculture Show in Lusaka...sorry)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

I have been enjoying your blog so much. You sound like you have made such a great impact on everyone around you. You've cerainly made an impact on me.

I've been telling Dylan about you and your experiences. You may not realize it, but you are a role model for her.

Thanks for updating your blog and sharing your experiences with all of us. I can't wait to see you in person next year.

Hugs,
Theresa

10:57 AM

 
Blogger Don Barshinger said...

Julie,

Like Theresa, I have been thoroughly enjoying your blog. It's insightful, well-written and absolutely fascinating. Keep up the good work! In one year you've had more adventures than most of us have in a lifetime.

Don

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home