“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Msekera Farmers Field Day

Well the field day was an overall success in my opinion. It was on March 29th and over 600 area farmers attended. The field day was held at Msekera research center where they test different ways to grow crops using chemical fertilizers and natural fertilizers like tophrosia and manure etc. Their studies range from beans to peppers to maize to groundnuts. Its quite intensive and interesting. The field day showed all the farmers these various techniques starting from planting their crops to storing them. Me and a fellow pcv helped with the sessions on fish farming. However it all had to be done in Nyanja and needless to say we had to get help from our counterpart Mulenga. The sessions for cut a bit short and its difficult to explain fish farming in less than 15 min. However I think the farmers enjoyed it very much, especially with our exhibit of the different types of fish. There was much eating, singing and dancing afterward with a few speeches from several Zambian officials.


Apart from the field day I also was asked to paint signs for the research center. Here's one of the signs I painted - all by hand of course. This is graphic design at its finest in Zambia ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home