“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Tinayenda ku town

Yes, we walked to town. About a week and a half ago, my sister, Joyce (she's 19) decided to get up early and walk to Chipata. Its only 25k, but hey its full of rolling hills. We had an amazing journey. I was so thankful because we really got to know eachother and it was interesting to hear the opinions of a 19 year old woman in Zambia. It was a beautiful walk however got a bit hot at the end. It only took us 4hrs which I thought was decent considering all the hills. She was so happy because most people in Fisheni haven't done that before. They either bike or take transport. Its funny because now when anyone sees me leaving my house they always ask if I'm walking (or footing like they like to say) to town. No one really understood why we wanted to do that. They even offered me money, but I told them that wasn't the problem. Oh well, it was fun and I got to learn a lot about Joyce and her dreams for the future. She wants to be a nurse. It was some of the best 4 hrs I've spent in Zambia.


Walking in rural Zambia also allows you to meet some interesting people. Like for example the random group of uniformed children marching on the side of the road. We had one woman running to catch up with us because she wanted to beat us to town. She wasn't even planning on walking to town until she saw us. I think she eventually caught transport.


Once we were in Chipata I bought us lunch and we drank ice cold cokes. What a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home