“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Where there is no Doctor

So I've just got back from Lusaka. I unexpectedly had to go last Friday because I developed a strange rash and abscess on my head causeing swollem lymph nodes. I have to hand it to PC though, they don't take any chances. I called them from my village and said they wanted me to head to Lusaka right away. Well this was on Thursday afternoon at 1pm. I had to hurry and pack up and talk with people in my village about meetings I would need to cancel. They were very concerned. Most of them have never been to Lusaka. Its about an 8 hr drive or so it should have been. I walked an hour to my turn-off in over 100 degree heat and just made it to the PC house before dark. I was exhausted.

I swear, since I went to the Ziwanda ceremony, I've had nothing but bad luck! So I get to the bus station at 5:30am on Friday. All is well until around 1pm, just a couple hours outside of Lusaka when we're driving in the mountains and going fairly fast around a corner and down a hill.....when there's a stopped semi-truck in the middle of the road and an on-coming vehicle. So, our bus (which is one of the large tour buses)... vears off the road and then theres a loud pop and lots of air gushing out. The scary part is....theres a drop-off about 15ft from the road and I'm in a top-heavy tour bus....one of the very large buses. So they get us off the bus....its only over 100 degrees outside and say they finally fix it. We get back on and when they start the bus it just makes a really awful sound. Then someone says its the brakes. Apparently the brake pipe burst so the brakes were locked-up. Well this wasn't a good sign. Especially being in the mountains. I feared that I was the only person with water and everyone started getting restless. I began sms with Jeff our PCVL. Then a Zambian man stated that all we needed to do was find a large rock to break apart the brakes. Well thats great and all, but how were the brakes going to work again. I knew I needed to get out of there. My only option was hitch-hiking. Unlike the states, its fairly safe here. I was chatting with some business men from Lusaka when a truck came along. We ran into the road to make him stop. When we asked for a ride he refused saying he was still working. But I started giving him a really pitiful look and almost started crying saying I just needed to get to Lusaka. Finally he agreed. We hopped in and were off. In the truck we had 2 Tongans, 1 Bemba and a Muzungu. However we had to make 5 business stops along the way. We went to three schools and even met with some Celtel business men about cellular service in the area. They thought I was apart of this group. It was quite funny. So long story short 12hrs after I left Chipata I arrived in Lusaka. It was quite the day.

I met with the PCMO on Saturday morning and got some good medication and was told that I'd be just fine. So I stayed in Lusaka till Tuesday and then came back to Chipata in a fairly uneventful trip....8 hrs this time. Unexpectedly Zach from Central showed up at my door Sunday night. It was a pleasant surprise. I hung out with him and Andrew on Monday all day which was a blast. Those guys are hilarious. So they made my stay just a bit better.

Well I'm about to head back to the village today. I feel like I've been gone forever since I had a workshop the week before last. Next week we have a Youth Career week workshop and then a week after that I'm heading back to Lusaka for In-service training. I'm hoping to go to Tanzania for the holidays with Christi. We want to head up to Arusha and Moshi where Kilimanjaro is. I won't be climbing it this year, but maybe after my service. Its on my life-time to do list. Then I think we are going to head to the Serengeti and see some wild animals. Should be a good time. However we're going to keep a flexible schedule and see what happens.

Please continue to stay in touch with me. Its been great to hear from so many people and recieve some great packages. THANK YOU!!!! Keep in touch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home