“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Trying to Ration the Passion

but its so hard with the few luxuries we do get. I buy a chocolate bar in Kitwe and its gone before we get back to Mwekera. Trying to ration the passion with the Kwacha is not easy either. We are getting 8,500 kwach a day (about $2 USD).

Today's "transport" into Kitwe was quite an adventure. Christi, myself, Uncle Kit and Jerms were scared for our lives and laughing all at the same time. The Zambus was all over the place and honking non-stop at who knows what. Anyone that wants a ride at anytime will get picked up no matter what...even if you about flip the minibus while pulling off the side of the road.

So I got my site assignment for the next two years. I'll be going to Kapata Moyo, about 10k from Chipata in Eastern Province. I'm so stoked. I get to hike a 1000 meter "hill" to get into my provincal capital and to the PCVL house.

We have a great group going to Eastern. Tomorrow the Nyanja's head to Central Province to Serenje for our second site visit for the next two weeks with four of our bemba friends. Then its back to the ranch for the final two weeks of training. Time fly's when you don't ever have to worry about keeping track of it. We've only been in country for about five weeks and I feel like I've known some of my fellow PCT's forever. We just took our second language exam. I don't think I did quite as well as the first time, buy hey, I'm learning....I think. Nyanja is actually a really cool language despite what some of Bemba's might say.

We continue to learn a lot about Zambian culture which is so different from our own in America. I find living in another culture so fascinating. My brothers and sisters in my homestay are so cute and great. I really do adore them. Its hard to believe that I'll be done with training in about one months time. Scary! I'll be posting some photos once we get placed at site. I'm trying to ration the passion with my internet time. See you in three weeks! Wish me luck getting back by transport, hitch-hiking or all the above in two weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home