“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Its official, I'm a volunteer

So its been a little while since I've posted. Life has been very hectic. So several long stories short I was sworn in as a volunteer on Monday August 14th. It was really neat. Several people gave speeches in the various languages and we had to swear in and make our committment of two years of service. Our Country director gave a wonderful and touching speech.

I passed my LPI (language profiency interview) at the Intermediate Mid range...which means I can hold a very simple conversation in Chinyanja. Bantu languages are cool. The week prior to posting was a little insane. Everyone was at the PCVL house for about a week. Definitely felt like being back in college again. However Eastern province is great. Its so beautiful here and the area is surrounded by mountains or large hills.

So I got posted to my site, Kapata Moyo on Friday August 25th. That was definitely a turning point in my life. Everything has changed. Training was so easy compared to the last couple of weeks. I fought back tears as the Peace Corps truck rolled out of my site leaving me and my belongings outside my mudhut while about 50 strangers stood staring at me and speaking in a language I did not understand. Posting to be continued in the next entry above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home