“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

ahhhh yes...Back from the Bush

So...Christi, Rachel, Dave and I just got back from our second site visit. Can I say I've had the best two weeks ever! Central province is so cool and so beautiful. Zach (current PCV) ROCKS! He whipped us into shape by having us mountain bike 24/7. We climbed a small mountain...with 360 degree views of Central province. I got a little scared, but with the help of my fellow PCT's, I mustered up the courage to complete the climb. We each paired up and stayed with host families. Christi and I stayed together with a family that lived in the middle of no where! We had to bike 40 minutes each way. We mastered Circ De Soleil...bathing...long story. Zach had so many cool things planned for us. Many visits with farmers, staking ponds and even dancing with the school children. Oh and I got singled out to dance with the MC in front of everyone. It was a little awkward but fun since Zambian dancing is quite different from our type of dancing in America. Lets say its a bit more provocative. Then last Saturday night Zach's family held a village party...complete with Rooster, Wild Boar and lots of tea wine. It was fantastic...and again more dancing. We spent many nights around a bonfire and we all got along surprisingly well. Well the food situation got bit hairy at times, but we made it through. It was great because it really confirmed the fact that I want to be here and that I love it here.

Last Sunday we didn't have much to do, so Rachel, Jen and I decided to walk to the boma (Serenje). Zach warned us that is was far, but hey...how far could it really be. Well long story short it took 3.5 hrs to get there in the sweltering heat....we ate like we've never had food before and then caught a super sketchy ride (from Congolese men) back to the turn-off and enjoyed another three hour walk. Needless to say we got back in the dark...limping from blisters on our feet, Rachel bleeding and Jen vomiting. Ahhhh yes...good times. It was quite the way to spend a relaxing Sunday. Then we headed back to the PCVL house for another great night with the current PCV's in Central and a little cricket. These guys know how to cook! Friday night was spent at this super cute lodge in Mikushi...where I got my first HOT shower in two months. I can't even beging to tell you how amazing it was....oh and the steak dinner with real mashed potatoes...pure heaven. Its all about the small pleasures here in Zambia.

Transport back was super easy....we hiked over the mountain...was on the road for about 5 minutes when a minibus picked us up and drove us to Kapiri...where we had lunch and happened to catch the big bus to Kitwe. Couldn't have been easier. Tomorrow its back to the grind with two more weeks of training. I'm looking forward to seeing my host family...I miss them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home