“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Makin my Crib

So its the Saturday after the 4th of July. We had a great time celebrating Merica's independence in Zambia. It was filled with a Cultural day of eating catepillars (which taste like you'd think) and impala which was absolutely fantastic...some vball action along with a huge bonfire at the Miombo club. Training is going good, I've gotten sick a few times, but hey, thats part of the experience. Last Saturday night we all went to the Disco which was just like being back in Chicago at a club. Good times, lots of dancing, singing, etc. Sunday a bunch of us spent the day at Mwekera falls. Its a really beautiful place about a 45 minute walk through the woods from the training center. I walked back with one of my fellow Nyanja friends, Dave....it was so amazing...the sun was setting over the trees, so peaceful and nice. This week was fun with the 4th and Thursday's are "lets learn about all the horrible diseases we can catch while in Zambia" day. This week's topics included Rabies and Schisto! Fun stuff. I'm fairly certain I'll be catching something while here in my two years. Friday we finally got to jump in our ponds and build our "Cribs". Compost cribs that is. Luckily my pond is not infested with leaches like some of my fellow trainees. However I got to slog around in some chicken shit, goat shit, cow shit etc that help create a "bloom" in my pond. It smelled great and so did I when it was over. Tonights back to Mwekera for some weekend fun. Things are going good and we get our site assignments next week. Then we'll be sent out into the bush for two weeks on another site visit. I'll be visiting Zach in Central province. Oh another random comment: my rat situation in my bedroom has been taken care of...the rat and I had a little chat and I won. He won't be coming back anytime soon. I can't wait to go to Eastern province but I don't want to say good-bye to some of my fellow trainees....we are having quite the blast...especially Christi, myself and Uncle Kit. Nothing really else to report...I should have one more post before we head out into the bush once again. Take care and I miss you all at home and in Chi-town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home