“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro. I'm a 28 year old Peace Corps Volunteer in Zambia working with rural fish farmers.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Releasing Some Pressure

Things have been going great in the village. I'm working on a big "Farmer's Field Day" with a fellow pcv that will take place at the end of the month. We will have a demonstration pond for about 500 rural farmers and teaching them a bit about fish farming. I've also taken on a side project of painting signs for the Department of Agriculture at Msekera. I thought I should put to use some of my talents and I'm happy that my services will save them a lot of money. However I have 12 signs to paint and 1 banner all before the end of March. And these are not small signs, about 3 meters by 1 meter. So lots to do in the next couple of weeks and I'll be biking there about 30km each day. I'm always thankful for the extra excercise.

However I find myself in Lusaka today after finding a rather large lump under my arm. Nothing to worry about, but they wanted me to come and get it checked out. It keeps getting bigger and more painful as the days go on so I thought it was time to see the doctor. Well I wasn't prepared to have an outpatient surgery of sorts, but I did. Lets just say without any anestetic, the small incision was quite painful. It hurts to type this blog entry right now. So I just had an abcess that my body couldn't fight and it needed to be drained. Imagine, me getting an infection.....unheard of ;) So I'm feeling much better now and I'm on some antibiotics for the next ten days. I'm hoping to get back to Chipata asap because I have a ton of work to do. I miss my village and my family. But for now I'm going to eat some great food, upload all my photos from the past two months and take in a good movie. I want to see Blood Diamond....heard its fantastic. Well thats it for now. I'll let everyone know how the big field day goes. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home